in the little things of Summer… Cherries & Watermelon! 🙂
I used 1.5 lbs of mini sweet peppers …great flavor for my homemade Sofrito… minus cilantro. I collected the seeds….they sprout fast!. I have a few 2″ plants on my window sill *fingers crossed*
Looking forward to that mini Watermelon…soon.
- 2 medium sized zucchini’s – strain well in a colander after shredding …for at least 1 hour prior to mixing in the rest of the ingredients. Discard the excess water coming out of the zucchini.
- 1/2 medium red onion – chopped
- 1 egg
- Add Salt & black pepper to taste
- Add 1/4 cup of gluten-free mix (I used Bob’s Red Mill) into the mixture. You can also use any other flour.
- Add 1/3 cup of green onion to the mixture.
Add 1-2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a cast iron pan on low to medium heat. Drop spoonful of batter and cook til crispy brown (a few minutes). Drain pancakes on paper towel to absorb oil.
Wearing a mask it’s not easy for anyone…do it anyway!!! I saw a post on FB that read, “if you don’t like wearing a mask, you certainly won’t like having a ventilator”…truth!!
A new routine…avoid all things people. Singing birds wake us early and insist we show up each day. Morning & evening walks down a quiet residential street …embracing the quiet times at a small corner park bursts of Springtime blooms.
Pretty much everything that comes into my home is purchased online. I’m one of those cleaning cans and wiping down plastic/cardboard surfaces. I haven’t ordered open fruits nor veggies since March. I prefer the no-contact deliveries where items are left at the door. I urge everyone to at least double the Tip for all deliveries.
My favorite easy to use and reliable delivery sites: Vitacost, Target, Walmart, Amazon, as well as their Prime Now groceries delivered from Whole Foods….for a few weeks delivery was limited but with enough time to try again I usually snagged a delivery slot.
New items, I never considered before COVID-19: (in the event we need it).
- A Pulse Oximeter….small device that measures your oxygen level and pulse…
- Protective glasses… clear ones that fit over my sunglasses…taking no chances!! It is believed COVID-19 can be caught via the eyes! Certainly not looking forward to the Summer heat!
My prayers for everyone enduring these difficult times…hang in there peeps!!!
It may be Sunday but this savory side dish is great any day of the week!
- Chop then saute onions 1/2 med onion, 2 T chopped olives, & 1/4 cup green/red peppers in 2t of extra virgin olive oil.
- Add rice (I used 1.5 c. Brown rice) to a deep saute pan.
- Add and stir well all of the spices: 1T garlic, 2t sazon, 1T tomato paste & 4 oz of chopped tomatoes.
- Add enough water to cover rice (about 3/4″).
- Cover the pan and cook on very, very low flame until the rice is cooked (check after 30 minutes to see if it needs a tad bit more water).
If you’re gluten-free or just looking for low carb alternatives for quesadillas …this almond flour alternative is AMAZING!!! I used a brown rice & Spanish red bean mixture and always rockin the guac. I also make a black bean and vegan cheese filling. I give it a quick toasting in a cast iron pan and voila!
Siete brand also has a Cassava flour tortilla which great too.
Some of my favs from Whole Foods. Simple Mills crackers (Rosemary & Sea Salt) are yum! The unsweetened Coconut “milk” is for my smoothies. I’ve added Arugula…tastes like peas. 🙂 Nuts of all varieties are a staple for me.
Oh yeah…watching the impeachment hearings (in disbelief at the cray times we’re living in). So craving normalcy…ayyyyyyyyyyyy! 🤪
Finding 2020 inspiration everywhere for journal prompts “reflect on the gifts of your life”…
I realize we still have Valentine’s day but I’m creating smaller WIPs like these Green shamrocks which I’ll turn into pins. St. Patricks day is celebrated big time in this city…the pins will be donated for sale at a local Arts gift shop.
Making my gluten-free, vegan meals. This was a hearty one… Spanish Black beans, savory brown rice w/Sazon, roasted Brussel sprouts & avocado slices alternatively, I would add chopped English cucumber.
Snacks. which can easily become lunch/dinner…I eat a lot of nuts, cashews, walnuts, etc. I love Simple Mills brand almonds crackers, falafel balls w/tahini & hummus, pure almond butter – no sugar added, and green apples.
In the Georgetown neighborhood (in Washington DC) on M Street, near Sephora & Sprinkles bakery alongside neat eateries and shops sits the Old Stone home from 1766. Step into history. They offer a free brief historical tour guide (no walking necessary) and a quaint gift shop – I purchased the tote bag, for my knitting! 😉
Such a neat find in the middle of so much activity.
Simple fav of mine…tomato & mayo. I’ve been enjoying this fresh fruit of the season almost daily for past 2.5 weeks! Sliced thick, use your fav spread (s). Above, I also spread guac on it and had with side of dill pickles….yum! Gluten-free bread tends to be small so one thick slice of tomato = perfect fit!.