It may be Sunday but this savory side dish is great any day of the week!
- Chop then saute onions 1/2 med onion, 2 T chopped olives, & 1/4 cup green/red peppers in 2t of extra virgin olive oil.
- Add rice (I used 1.5 c. Brown rice) to a deep saute pan.
- Add and stir well all of the spices: 1T garlic, 2t sazon, 1T tomato paste & 4 oz of chopped tomatoes.
- Add enough water to cover rice (about 3/4″).
- Cover the pan and cook on very, very low flame until the rice is cooked (check after 30 minutes to see if it needs a tad bit more water).
A fav vegan meal:
- Brown rice & Black beans
- Green beans
- A lot of Avocado
I spice up boring Brown rice: using both fresh and powdered spice – 1/2 t of IOnion, Garlic, Sazon, Tumeric, Black pepper. I hold back on salt since the mixed Spanish spice both contain salt. Saute 1 small onion in 1T of extra virgin olive oil (I used Carbonell, it’s 100% pure olive oil from Spain – really good flavor.
For my Black beans (one 16 oz can of beans) – add all of the above plus my homemade sofrito, 1 chopped medium potato, 1T tomato paste, cumin/comino, and 1 bayleaf.