Simple 5 Ingredients Black Bean Burger
- 1, 15 oz. can of Black beans, rinse in a colander
- 2 large Scallions/ Green Onions – finely chopped
- 1 T Gluten-free flour or any flour if you’re not eating gluten-free
- 1/2 t Spicy Mustard
- Dash of Salt & Black pepper
- Add everything into a large bowl and mash it up roughly using a potato masher.
- Pan fry it in a cast iron skillet….get your skillet very hot first, then add you favorite oil… I used 1 T. extra virgin oilive oil.
- Take a large handful of the black bean mixture, gently form it …it’s ok for it to look rustic.
- Add it to the hot skillet and let it crisp up a few minutes on each side, flip it using a large firm slotted spatula.
- Make 3-4 Burgers.
My husband, not Vegan nor Gluten-free and he loved this meal.
I served it on a slice of gluten-free bread, spreading avocado to the bread and topped it with Daiya (dairy-free) Sharp Shredded cheese.
Added diced potatoes, corn and fresh cucumbers with dill to complete the dish for a hearty meal.
“Kale is both helpful for detoxifying the body and keeping the liver healthy. … Detoxes with kale are specifically designed to make sure the liver is kept clean of impurities, says MindBodyGreen, and to supply it with healthy nutrients that it needs to function properly”.
“Kale has one of the highest levels of antioxidants of any plant you can eat and can help reduce inflammation, lower cholesterol and detox the liver. Adding kale into your cleansing regimen can be effective, when it’s eaten in moderation”.
A tasty and natural detox/cleanse.
- I used Cashew Milk …will try my Flax milk tomorrow.
- I added a 1/2 t of Tumeric, 1/4 t Cinnamon & 1/4 t of Ginger powder.
- Be sure to use a really good blender…I had to pulse for sometime to break down the Kale. I prefer without a sweetner but I could see how some might want to add Stevia/honey to sweeten it up.
Perfect Winter day soup…
White Bean Soup
Vegetarian, Gluten-free, & Vegan
- 2 15oz cans of White Beans – in a colander rinse the beans under water.
- 1 T Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 1/2 large green pepper, diced
- 1 large Potato (White/Sweet) diced…can substitute with butternut squash
- 2 cloves, fresh Garlic, minced
- 1 large Bayleaf
- 1/4 t Cumin powder
- 1/2 t Garlic powder
- 1 t Badia Sazon or 1/2 a packet
- 1/2 t Kosher salt
- 1/2 t Tumeric powder
- A tiny pinch of Red Pepper flakes
- 2 pinches – dashes of Black pepper
- 1 T Tomato paste
Saute onions, green pepper, add garlic towards the end, do not brown the garlic.
Add all of the ingredients to the pot and add 4 cups of water, stir.
Cover and simmer the soup for 1.5- 2 hours.
I love all of the festivities of Christmas, gatherings, lunches & parties but they go by way too fast….it’s almost Christmas!!
I made a few gift items like this cute bulky hat & neckwarmer for my li’l niece – she has a massive head of beautiful curls… I was thrilled it all fit in the hat!
On this first very wet (torrential rain, all day) day of Winter, I made it home and made this simple, hearty soup.
Butternut Squash soup: It’s Gluten-free and Vegan. It’s simple and easy to make.
1 1/2 bags of frozen Butternut Squash ( I used 6 oz bag of the cubes and 1 bag, 12 oz, of spirals) added it to 4.5 cups of water in saucepan add spices (below) and simmer for an hour.
The soup thickened nicely. One could always add a medium diced white/sweet potato and carrots too, if you like.
1 t Badia Sazon (can be found in the Latin food aisle). Badia brand does not contain MSG…other brands may.
1/2 t of Granulated garlic powder
1/2 t Salt
1 large Bayleaf
1/2 t Tumeric
1/3 t Black Pepper
Give it a try…enjoy!!
Triangle Scarflette on my needles this week. Rocking the colorful sock yarn.
On my plate, a hearty meal:
Yellow (Brown rice), pink beans – made with chuncks of zucchini), tostones (green bananas) with a lot of toasted garlic, avocado & cukes, Veggie, Gluten-free & Vegan life.
A fav vegan meal:
- Brown rice & Black beans
- Green beans
- A lot of Avocado
I spice up boring Brown rice: using both fresh and powdered spice – 1/2 t of IOnion, Garlic, Sazon, Tumeric, Black pepper. I hold back on salt since the mixed Spanish spice both contain salt. Saute 1 small onion in 1T of extra virgin olive oil (I used Carbonell, it’s 100% pure olive oil from Spain – really good flavor.
For my Black beans (one 16 oz can of beans) – add all of the above plus my homemade sofrito, 1 chopped medium potato, 1T tomato paste, cumin/comino, and 1 bayleaf.
Creamy Vegan & Gluten-free Mac & Cheese w/Broccoli –
This will be my go-to pot-luck casserole dish… everyone wil love.
- 6 oz. of Penne Brown Rice Pasta – cooked
- 1/2 cup of Cashew Milk (or Hemp/Almond Milk)
- Fresh or frozen broccoli
- Garlic clove (minched)
- Daiya Vegan Cheese (Shredded Mozzerella & Cheddar) – generous handful of each.
- Salt & Pepper
Mince the garlic and heat in a saucepan add Cashew Milk, stir, add Cheese to Milk and stir til blended, add dash salt & black pepper then add penne pasta, stir the add broccoli….serve.
My latest great find:
Excellent tahini mix: Barron Tahini – pure ground sesame – $12/2 16 oz jars, on Amazon.
Easy prep: add equal amount water to mixture, add 1 clove of garlic, 1-2 T of fresh Lemon juice, salt & blend. Some add parsley. It can be made thicker by using less water. Perfect dressing for falafel salad, green salad, celery, cukes, etc.
While eating gluten free is not a choice for me, I am choosing vegan eating as well. Naturally, it’s a challenge… I’ve always loved cheese – meat, nah, never been a fan of it.
Thankful for all of the options, blogs, etc. which make it easier.